Wednesday, October 11, 2006

The Stripey Leopard, pt. 2

So, to expand a little.

Obviously, my resignation letter was not the whole explanation, merely the sufficient - my ego doesn't quite run to pamphlet length resignations letters criticising the person who makes the tea and using that to show why the organisation is degerate and fit only for the dustbin of posterity.

I have always tended towards favouring political reform. I still think annual Parliaments would be a significant gain for the working class (Or tri-annual parliaments with unicameralism - like they have in New Zealand). I'm strongly pro-European (in the sense that I support any agglomeration of nationalities into democratic (ish) larger formations, the the estension of democracy within any such pollity) - I stayed out of such arguments because I was dedicated to the cause of the SP and those arguments were not so much on the agenda as to demand I contrast them with my commitment to the party.

Now, and here is a very salient point - the party is tehre to serve us, not we the party. There is a dangerous trap that some have fallen into, of making the party an end in istelf and making loyalty to their organisation override any other considerations. If nothing else, at the minute, I'm trying to prove to me that my commitment is to my convictions, and not some stagnant loyalty to a particular party.

Quite where that sends me isn't as yet clear.

The dots need connecting to make the stripes clearer - lets see if that happens in future posts.

p.s. Thanks to all the commentors and the people who have sent me charming emails - you know who you are.

3 Comments:

Blogger gray said...

It's always a sad day when a comrade tenders his Form F.

I believe I speak for many when I say your work for the SPGB has been deeply appreciated.

Bon chance

3:10 PM  
Blogger ajohnstone said...

Gone but i am sure not to be forgotten , Bill . Hope that doesn't sound too morbid . I know you're not dead yet .
Take care and look after yourself , if i don't see you on my twice yearly trips to Clapham
( you did hand back all your party library books , didn't you ;-p )

4:33 PM  
Blogger John said...

Sorry to see you go, Bill. The Party is undoubtedly much smaller for your departure. Of course you realise it will take 18 months to process your Form F :-)

Just a thought though - how would you have convinced a member to stay in the party who had written a similar resignation letter say a year ago?

Wish I had have been at your debate with the rep. of the US Ambassador in London(the same day we received your resignation). A Brilliant debate by all accounts and what a way to bow out from the Party.

Comradely good wishes,
John

1:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home