Tuesday, January 02, 2007

...Again.

So, a bloke in a hat walks into a pub. It's a black hat, and he doesn't shave - you can see where this is headed, can't you? Yes, your favourite under-cover gentile has once again been subjected to anti-Jewish racism.

An Irish pub, in Willesden (I'll not name it, due to the helpful response of the majority of patrons).

I walked to the bar, and this drunk old Irish feller shouts at me (he was a shouting drunk, I dunno, maybe alcohol turns up the volume). Anyway, he asked where I was from, and I replied Teesside, he looks blank for a second and then barks Are you one of them cunts who blew up me life?.

I was taken aback, I didn't know, maybe I was one of those cunts who'd blown up his life. Was it anti-British? Was he being anti-IRA, had he literally experienced an explosion. Maybe there is a secret league of life exploders who I give regular subsriptions to. Then, though, he indicated he thought I was Jewish. The penny dropped, and I attempted, in a friendly way, to defuse him.

At this point other regulars began to ask him to leave me alone He's entitled to a drink one said. I grabbed my drink, smiling pleasantly, and found a seat.

I drink there reasonably often, a swift half or so on the way to me mates' home. Previously, I've been taken for a Mayo man (aparrently on account of my Red/Green scarf), and subjected to drunked ramblings passim.

Still, nevertheless, it was an encounter with the old school of anti-semitism, and the third incident I've reported on this blog since it's foundation. Draw whatever conclusions you will.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anti-semitism is one prejudice I can't get my head around.

All the best for the new year, Bill.

Comradely,
Phil BC

11:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should stop drinking halves, that's your problem right there...

3:55 PM  
Blogger Bill said...

Actually, I was exceptionally early (even by my standards) so I bought a pint for once, and settled to watch RTE news followed by Shrek (RTE news reminds me of what the BBC used to be like back in the eighties, complete with balanced coverage of court cases and everything).

4:03 PM  
Blogger John said...

Kerry? Red and Green is Mayo!

11:53 AM  
Blogger Bill said...

My humble appologies - he did, now you mention it, say County Mayo (repeatedly, like a mantra). My memory is shocking, but the test will be changed...

8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home