Friday, November 06, 2009

Mute inglorious...

Or, Why I Love Heavy Metal.

I went to see a mate's gig last night, I was feeling a bit ropey, but went anyway.

I was the usual fare, most of the audience were either band members, or mates/partners of band members - so fewer people than I normally speak to at Hyde Park, tiny audience.

But all the bands played their hearts out, a sort of rocky mi, the night went from 90's Nu Metal through a Placebo inspired band, to a genuine Metal five piece with a drummer with no shirt and poodle hair (and they did rock), to ending the night with a Metallica style thrash outfit.

My ears stopped hurting after a while, and I loved every stroke of the bass, every wail, every thump of the drum and trill of the lead guitar. Classic stuff, and every bit as good as some big name top of the line bands, all for a fiver.

And this is going on in pubs across London, playing slogging their guts out for no money, because they want to play - sure, they want to be famous, and have a chance at the riches, but most know that will never happen, and this is as far as they'll get.

he music industry is a lottery, and success is overrated. Look for quality where you will, and maybe, just maybe, avoid the mass marketing machines.

Feral
Roxville
Rubella

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'll see my public speaking has not improved since SPGB days...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ5QLXHmLps

1:29 PM  
Blogger Imposs1904 said...

Stuart,

could it have been any worse than my one ill-fated venture into public speaking?


(((((shudder)))))

2:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember it well! You were doing brilliantly till you lost your thread.

10:58 AM  
Blogger Imposs1904 said...

Never spoken again in public since.

When I got married, I had to write 'I do' on a post-it note and hand it to the registrar.

12:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL. Well, you're cleverer than me. You learn your lesson. I keep volunteering to do stuff I hate!

Makes a change to be chatting in Bill's comment box, sure he won't mind. How's things in New York?

2:08 PM  
Blogger Imposs1904 said...

Fine. Late night.

The wee yin decided to have a screaming fit at one in the morning. He's asleep right now. Git.

Guess who's in New York right now, btw? Remember RC from Glasgow? He was a member of the ACG for a while before moving on. Used to write 40 page polemics criticising the SPGB.

He's given the politics up now. I only know he's in New York because I stumbled across his profile on Facebook.

Mmm, I'm sure Bill won't mind this thread.

How's the Midlands? Do they still talk funny?

2:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear all's well and the wee yin's torturing you. I'm sure you must have done something to deserve it in a previous life!

Everything's good here in the Midlands thanks. And no, they don't talk funny. They talk how English should be spoken. Everyone else talks funny.

And I do remember RC. Wasn't he the other half of the now famous Cumming-Skelton polemic? I believe you can find it on the Marxists internet archive. A seminal moment in the class struggle.

Sorry Bill, we'll leave now!

3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home